Despite his previous statements, Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Duterte is now telling his supporters that they will have to wait until December 10 to know whether he will run for the presidency or not.
In an interview with Rappler, Duterte has disclosed that what makes him reluctant to seek the presidency is the fact that Filipinos are known to be disobedient citizens.
“Kasi ang Filipino ngayon, hindi mo masabihan na obey the law. Sabihin mo sa kanya, THIS is the law. Putang ina, pag hindi mo sinunod ang batas, put*ng ina ka sa akin,” he said.
(“Today, you can’t even tell the Filipino to obey the law. You ought to tell him: This is the law. You’d be damned if you did not follow the law, you’d be damned.”)
On October 16, Duterte’s supporters have convened at the Commission on Elections (Comelec) headquarters in Intramuros to witness the promoter of federalism file his Certificate of Candidacy (COC) for president.
However, despite media reports stating that he boarded a private aircraft bound for Manila, Duterte said that there is no need for him to leave his place since he had already filed a COC for a local position.
“I’m telling the Filipino people, huwag ako (not me). It’s going to be bloody,” he said; adding that Filipinos may not be ready for his leadership style yet.
Duterte has stepped into the national limelight after his furious attitude towards those who violate laws became known. He has been noted as a political official who had faced a number of complaints concerning human rights, with several cases even filed at the Human Rights Commission of the United States.
But apparently, Duterte did not regret any of his actions; stating that everything he has done is merely part of his work.
“If I will return to the original day then I would still do it because that’s the only way that I could keep the peace in Davao and how it could develop into what you see now,” he said; adding that Filipinos should be ready if ever he becomes the president.