STA. ANA, Cagayan, July 31 (PIA) — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Monday led the destruction of 68 luxury cars and eight high-end motorcycles at Port Irene in this town.
The event was attended by Customs Commissioner Isidro Lapeña, Cagayan Economic Zone Authority (CEZA) Administrator and Chief Executive Officer Raul Lambino, Cagayan Governor Manuel Mamba, Sta. Ana Mayor Darwin Tobias, local and barangay officials, other CEZA officials, government employees and residents of this town.
During the public condemnation of smuggled vehicles, President Duterte admitted that he could not completely eradicate corruption and smuggling in government but he would want to create an environment where businesses could thrive.
“Kaya ito sinira ko ‘to because you have to show to the world that you have a viable place of investment and business. And the only way to show it is that you are productive and that you have the economy to absorb the productivity of the population,” Duterte said.
The 68 luxury sedans worth P277,961,760 and eight big bikes valued at P19,567,350 were the second batch of expensive vehicles destroyed at Port Irene. In March, he also witnessed the condemnation of the 14 luxury vehicles, with an estimated worth of P27 million, crushed by bulldozers.
The expensive cars and motorbikes are part of 800 contraband vehicles imported in Cagayan through the port.
The activity is part of CEZA’s compliance to the President’s directive to publicly destroy illegally shipped contrabands in the country’s economic zones to deter smuggling.
According to Lambino, the recently destroyed luxury vehicles including the 14 that were destroyed on March 14 will be used as the primary materials for the construction of a three-storey high Monument of Change (Bantayog ng Pagbabago) inside the Cagayan Freeport Zone.
Lambino said the establishment of the monument aims to convey the strong message of the President against corruption and serve as a reminder to all especially the local and foreign visitors of Cagayan that real change for good governance has happened during Duterte’s Administration.
Lambino also shared that before the destruction of the contraband vehicles, he was able to ask the President’s permission for the remaining vehicles to be given to the different Local Government Units (LGUs) and National Government Agencies (NGAs) in Cagayan for free.
“Nag-usap na kami ng Presidente. Yung mga natirang sasakyan ay ipamimigay natin sa mga LGU at sa mga government agency. Kailangan lang ng letter of intent addressed to me kung anong ahensiya ang may gustong makakuha ng sasakyan and CEZA will assess kung sino ang bibigyan,” Lambino said.
Lambino said the remaining vehicles are not considered luxury vehicles.
The remaining contraband vehicles had been impounded in a warehouse at Port Irene, a sea port operated by the CEZA. (MDCT/PIA-2)
Source: PIA Feed