QUEZON CITY, Sept. 14 (PIA) — President Rodrigo Roa Duterte on Thursday presided over a command conference at the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) office to oversee the ongoing risk reduction measures and preparations for the expected onslaught of Typhoon Ompong this week.
The meeting was attended by Cabinet secretaries, top uniformed officials, and chiefs of offices.
During the conference, concurrent Office of Civil Defense Administrator and NDRRMC Executive Director Usec. Ricardo Jalad presented government’s disaster preparedness plan for an effective response to the tropical cyclone.
“Based on our analysis on the affected population and based on the exposure analysis by PAGASA, within the 125 kilometer radius of the center of the typhoon, there is a total of 4.3 million individuals that are exposed,” Jalad said.
The official also presented a synopsis of risk areas and government’s rapid deployment strategy.
“These are the provinces of Cagayan, Isabela in Region 2 with the highest number, followed by Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur in Region 1, and Abra, Kalinga, Apayao, Mt. Province, and Ifugao in Cordillera. Of these number, 824,100 individuals belong to the poor,” he said.
“The mission of the NDRRMC is to provide effective rapid augmentation support to the regions in the conduct of disaster response management operations, specifically to Regions 1, 2, 3, and CAR that are expected to be affected by Typhoon Ompong. We included there, Region 3 because of the 900-kilometer diameter of the typhoon,” he added.
He said the rapid deployment teams will be stationed at six staging areas in Clark, Maconacon, Cauayan City, Sta. Ana, Laoag City, and in Basco.
These teams, he said will conduct search and rescue operations, post disaster analyses, and provide relief and maintain law and order.
Jalad presented the status of prepositioned resources amounting to P1.179 billion consisting of family food packs, relief items, and standby funds.
He also presented Ompong’s impact on the education sector affecting at least 11 regions, 19,704 schools, and 7.7 million learners across Luzon and Visayas.
In response, Duterte ordered the Cabinet officials to personally check on affected areas that may be hit by the typhoon’s onslaught.
He also expressed satisfaction with the preparations made by various government agencies.
Earlier in the afternoon, the President also inspected the NDRRMC Operations Center, the disaster council’s central command and control facility responsible for carrying out the emergency preparedness and management for the severe weather.
The NDRRMC raised its alert level from “white” to “blue” on Sept. 10 and from “blue” to “red” on Sept. 11. It also conducted pre-disaster risk assessment core group meeting on Sept. 10, 12 and activated the Response Cluster on Sept. 12, as part of its preparedness measures. (PIA-NCR)
Source: PIA Feed