DAGUPAN CITY, Jan. 11 (PIA) — Firecracker injuries in Pangasinan dropped to 14 percent during the New Year revelry.
Senior Inspector Ria Tacderan, information officer of the Pangasinan Police Provincial Office (PPPO), said a total of 84 injuries were recorded from Dec. 21, 2018 to Jan. 3 this year as compared to the 98 cases documented last year for the same period.
She attributed the decline to the “Oplan Bando” (Pangasinan word with closest synonyms like advertise or shout) waged by police personnel in the whole province to heighten public awareness of the ill effects of firecrackers.
“Sinabihan natin ang mga mamamayan na iwasan ang paggamit ng paputok para hindi sila masaktan,” she added during the ‘Pantongtongan Tayo’ (Pag-usapan Natin) radio program of the Philippine Information Agency (PIA) Pangasinan aired over DZMQ Radyo Pilipinas Dagupan on Tuesday.
Based on the report from the Provincial Health Office (PHO), Tacderan mentioned that out of the 84 firecracker-related injuries, the youngest was one-year-old and the oldest was aged 70.
“Victims were mostly male and they were classified as active, which means they were injured while lighting or holding the firecracker,” she said.
The PHO report also showed that the most commonly affected age group range from five to nine years old while “kwitis” was the mostly used firecracker.
Further, Tacderan said two persons sustained injuries from San Carlos City and Basista town after they were hit by stray bullets.
“The culprits have been identified and cases were already filed against them,” she said. (JNPD/AMB/PIA Pangasinan)
Source: PIA Feed