South Cotabato, DOLE offer summer jobs for 600 students, OSYs

KORONADAL CITY, South Cotabato, Jan. 9 (PIA) – At least 623 students and out-of-school youth in South Cotabato could benefit from summer jobs the South Cotabato Provincial Government and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) 12 offer under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES). 

South Cotabato’s Public Employment Service Office (PESO) has released on Saturday, January 5, application forms for the summer vacation offering of the SPES.  Interviews to determine the most qualified applicants will begin on January 14. 

“The provincial government has allotted 523 slots (for the summer vacation SPES). Our partner, Ace Centerpoint, will also hire 100 individuals,” Flora Cavan, head of PESO-South Cotabato said. 

Cavan noted that those who will be hired by the provincial government will be paid P477.73 per day, equivalent to  the salary of government employee at the entrant level of salary grade 1, step 1.  Thus, a SPES beneficiary could earn as much as P9,554.60 for a 20-day job. 

Based on the plan, according to Cavan, the first of the three batches of SPES beneficiaries this year will commence work on April 1. The other two batches will report to work beginnning April 17 and May 9, respectively. 

Although those who will be hired by the Ace Centerpoint, a local mall, will only be paid the prevailing minimum wage of P311 per day in SOCCSKSARGEN Region, they can work for maximum of 78 days, Cavan added. 

For those who will not be taken in the summer SPES offering, may apply for the year-round SPES of the provincial government.  They may also apply for SPES in their respective municipal governments, she said. 

READ:  Coconut levy trust fund bill now a law, says Senator

SPES is an employment bridging program spearheaded by the Department of Labor and Employment during summer and Christmas vacation. It aims to augment family income of poor but deserving students, out-of-school-youth, and dependents of displaced or would-be displaced workers who intend to complete their education.   

Applicants must be at least 15 years old but not more than 30 years old at the time of application.  Student applicants must have obtained at least an average passing grade in the last school year or semester attended. 

The out-of-school youth, on the other hand, must secure certification as OSY from the barangay or local social welfare officer.  

Also, the combined income of the applicant’s parents, including his or her own, must not exceed the regional poverty threshold. 

In 2019,  DOLE 12, in partnership with its collaborating establishments, the national government agencies (NGAs) and the local government units (LGUs), aims to hire 8,677 individuals through SPES. 

Under the program, employers such as private establishments, NGAs, LGUs, and other government instrumentalities pay 60 percent of the salary of the SPES beneficiaries; DOLE pays the remaining 40 percent. 

However, low-income LGUs may request for a lower share: 25 percent for 6th class municipalities, 40 percent for 5th class municipalities, and 50 percent for 4th class municipalities and provinces. (DED-PIA 12)

Source: PIA Feed